Scrumptious Sweet Potato Pie
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whiskey or apple juice
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until tender. Drain well; return to pot. Mash potatoes until smooth (you should have 2 cups).
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 15-20 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder until blended. Beat in eggs, sweet potatoes and extracts until smooth. Stir in whiskey.
- Add filling to crust. Bake on a middle oven rack 40-45 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 413 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 4, 2017
to people posting reviews, pls note, a review is the outcome of the recipe. saying you cannot wait to try it, is not a review, it's only saying you would like to try it. When I scroll down for reviews I am looking for the result of the recipe, or comments for additions & the like. This will shorten the list, & eliminate the: "my mother-in-law liked it or the "2 yr. old helped make it".
Oct 29, 2015
Recipe sounds scrumptious, l can't wait to try it for Thanksgiving. I've been looking for sweet potato pie recipe and l think l just found it.thanks,B. Moore