Praline Sweet Potato Pie
Adding a pleasant crunch, praline crumbles contrast perfectly with the smooth sweet potato filling in this recipe. It’s a fun, festive update on a classic Southern dessert. —Carol Gillespie, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-3/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with waxed paper; set aside. For praline crumbles, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, brown sugar, cream and butter. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add vanilla; stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and begins to lose its gloss. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until set. Coarsely chop.
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. Sprinkle 1 cup praline crumbles into pastry. Place the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, sugar, milk, cream, butter, extract and spices in a food processor. Cover and process just until blended. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until center is almost set. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and remaining praline crumbles.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Praline crumbles can be made up to 2 weeks in advance. Store in an airtight container.
Originally published as Pecan Crunch Sweet Potato Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.