I've collected a large variety of recipes using our farm's crop of potatoes. This is a favorite. It has a wonderful pastry crust and is chock-full of sliced potatoes with onion, parsley and seasoning.—Patricia Wells, Riverhead, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-1/2 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl; cut in the shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water and mix lightly with a fork. Shape dough into a ball; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half to fit a 9-in. pie plate. For filling, combine potatoes, onion, salt, pepper and parsley. Spoon into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over filling. Seal and flute edges; make several slits in top crust. Bake at 375° for 1 hour. Pour cream into slits in crust; return to oven for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.