Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork 4-5 times.
- In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry pies, in batches, until golden brown, 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 3/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 359 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 21, 2013
Absolutely wonderful!!!! We baked ours and loved them!!!!!
Nov 4, 2011
These taste wonderful! My only concern is whether the eggs actually get cooked, since the pies are only fried for a minute or so on each side.
Nov 24, 2010
Oh goodness I'm in pure heaven! These are delicious!!! My husbands mama use to make these down south and I was tickled to find this recipe so that I could make them for him!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.