Fried Sweet Potato Pies
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 1-1/2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- 3. In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°. Fry pies, in batches, until golden brown, 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
1 pie: 287 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
Absolutely wonderful!!!! We baked ours and loved them!!!!!
Nov 4, 2011
These taste wonderful! My only concern is whether the eggs actually get cooked, since the pies are only fried for a minute or so on each side.
Nov 24, 2010
Oh goodness I'm in pure heaven! These are delicious!!! My husbands mama use to make these down south and I was tickled to find this recipe so that I could make them for him!