Sweet Potato Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 13-15 minutes. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash until very smooth; cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, two cups mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes longer. Cool. Store in refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 372 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 23, 2018
This recipe is easy and delicious. It is a light consistency. I added pecan strudel on top. Family loved it.
May 16, 2018
I thought the pie turned out great! I used baked sweet potatoes and added 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice. Next time I’ll use a deep dish pie crust to accommodate all of the filling. Great, easy recipe!
Apr 30, 2018
Easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Jan 5, 2018
I did exactly as the directions instructed and it turned out perfect!!! I also made this same pie for and older coworker of mine, for his birthday, and he said "It was so good, tasted just like how my momma use to make it"... FOOD COMPLEMENTS DON'T COME BETTER THAN THAT!
Dec 25, 2017
I have been making this for many years.
Dec 20, 2017
Came out great
Nov 25, 2017
My grandson told me he don't like sweet potato so i ask him to just taste a little piece to see if he would like it and he loved it so much he ask for a big piece. Thank you so much for this sample recipe.
Nov 24, 2017
Nov 24, 2017
Great recipe. Added a teaspoon of lemon extract. Came out great
Nov 23, 2017
I added crushed sweet pecans on top the last ten minutes! Family hit! I'm required to bake it every Thanksgiving.