Sweet Potato Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 13-15 minutes. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash until very smooth; cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, two cups mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until set or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes longer. Cool. Store in refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 372 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 29, 2019
Years - YEARS - ago I made a sweet potato pie and it was delicious. Unfortunately I don't remember what recipe I used. So, thanks to the internet, I found this recipe. Rated @ 4 1/2 stars I was sure it would be a winner. Was I WRONG! I followed the instructions to the letter an was astounded that this recipe had so many positive reviews! It was tasteless, flavorless, and much like a bland sweet potato muck in a pie crust. After one taste, I tossed mine in the garbage! Simply awful!
Nov 29, 2019
I’ve never made or tasted sweet potato pie before but decided to make this. It was sooooo good! I did add a little extra sugar but that was based on another recipe that I was considering....this will be my go to from now on.
Nov 27, 2019
OMG - this was AMAZING. It was the first time I EVER made a Sweet Potato pie and I brought it to two separate places and BOTH times it was a hit~it's so easy and soooooo delicious.
Nov 7, 2019
Really easy pie filling and whipped topping,remember to chill beaters and bowl for creamy whipped cream. 425F since this is a USA recipe. If in doubt just look at another recipe. Most will bake the same length of time. No worries. Be happy!!
Oct 25, 2019
I love this recipe! I an new to baking and this recipe was easy to follow, both my husband and neighbor enjoyrd it. I do add more cinnamon and vanilla for my taste.
Nov 23, 2018
This recipe is easy and delicious. It is a light consistency. I added pecan strudel on top. Family loved it.
May 16, 2018
I thought the pie turned out great! I used baked sweet potatoes and added 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice. Next time I’ll use a deep dish pie crust to accommodate all of the filling. Great, easy recipe!
Apr 30, 2018
Easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Jan 5, 2018
I did exactly as the directions instructed and it turned out perfect!!! I also made this same pie for and older coworker of mine, for his birthday, and he said "It was so good, tasted just like how my momma use to make it"... FOOD COMPLEMENTS DON'T COME BETTER THAN THAT!
Dec 25, 2017
I have been making this for many years.