Holiday Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Family and friends can't seem to get enough of this deliciously different cheesecake that combines my two favorite desserts—sweet potato pie and cheesecake. I think the dessert tastes best if made 24-48 hours prior to serving. —Melanie Bauder, Manlius, New York
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling
- 1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Glazed chopped pecans, optional
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into crust.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes with sugar, evaporated milk, butter, egg, vanilla, spices and salt. Spoon over cheesecake batter. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake at 325° until center is just set and top appears dull, 50-55 minutes.
- Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over cheesecake. Bake just until set, 5-10 minutes longer. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan. Sprinkle cheesecake with pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without pecans): 489 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Savory Sweet Potato Cheesecake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.