Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Bars
If you're looking for something other than pumpkin, these sweet potato bars are a yummy alternative. Make them ahead—they're even better refrigerated overnight. —Debbie Glasscock, Conway, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix and pecans; cut in butter until crumbly. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, 1 egg and 2 tablespoons milk until smooth; set aside. Stir together sweet potatoes, remaining eggs, remaining milk and pie spice; pour over pecan mixture. Dollop cream cheese mixture over sweet potato mixture. Cut through cream cheese mixture with a knife to swirl into sweet potato mixture.
- Bake until set and slightly golden on top, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool completely; chill before cutting into bars.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 304 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Bars in Taste of Home September/October 2017
Oct 13, 2017
These turned out great! Everyone enjoyed them, and several asked for the recipe.
Sep 23, 2017
Wow! These are really good! I added 1 tsp vanilla and about 1/8 tsp salt to the sweet potato layer. Great fall flavors!