Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, oil and egg; mix until blended. Reserve 1 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes.
- For filling, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and reserved topping.
- Bake until set, 18-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 187 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 30, 2019
Made these for a Xmas family gathering. They were just ok. Nothing special. You have to spread the cake mix very thin to get it to cover the bottom of the pan.
Oct 3, 2019
Mar 3, 2018
Dec 10, 2016
I made this in an 8x8 pan and it was amazing! I think this made the crust easier to work with (I mixed oil and egg first, and it did seem dry, but easily made a crust when pressed together). I made this to use up a German chocolate cake mix, and now I might keep one on hand just for this recipe.
Nov 22, 2016
I was so disappointed with these bars. I wouldn't even call them bars. They are very crumbly cookie-like bites. The cup of crumbs you sprinkle on top don't melt, the mini chips don't completely melt, they crumble when cut, and there isn't enough cream cheese to really taste. I sure won't make these again.
Oct 25, 2016
Sfcollins step one says to combine the cake mix with other ingredients and to reserve a cup. Step two directs you to sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the filling.Hope that helps.
Oct 24, 2016
I must be misinterpreting the recipe. There seems to be information omitted. Recipe is not clear as to what to do with the cake mix and how the crumbles are made. It is very confusing.
Oct 22, 2016
Quick prep, easy to make. Everyone loved the taste. thanks
Mar 22, 2014
Wonderful! I used regular cream cheese, rather than the low fat. I rarely cook or bake with anything low fat, as my husband and I are not overweight, and we rarely eat out or eat fast food. These bars are great and I will make them again!!!
Aug 26, 2013
Made this yesterday. Very good; rich. I used a 9x9 pan and it was perfect! I do plan on saving this recipe and making it again.