Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Oct 20, 2017
Based on the other reviews, I have to try this again. I found it wayyy too sweet with 2 full cups of sugar. I'll reduce that considerably next time! I expect I'll get a 5-star cake then.
Nov 25, 2016
I have a large tube pan so I refigured the ingredients to equal a batter and a half,the cake came out tall, light and moist, great recipe
Oct 19, 2016
I have made this heavenly cake several times. The texture is light, very moist and not too sweet. This cake is a winner!
Nov 28, 2015
After reading reviews about the cake being dry I tweaked the recipe by adding 1 cup of canola oil to the batter and the cake was super moist and really good. It's a hit and makes the house smell really good while it cooks. Definitely will be making this cake again!!!!
Mar 12, 2014
I searched for a recipe for a long time, this sounded to easy to be true and taste good,well it's not good but GREAT!! I didn't put nutmeg in and still great.
Dec 7, 2013
My husband requested a sweet potato cake for his birthday. I thought it was very moist and the orange glaze really complemented it.
Sep 27, 2013
I made this cake for a friend earlier this month and it was delicious everyone loved it. I made a butter cream icing using the orange peel and juice but only icing the top of the cake.
Sep 17, 2012
Very yummy pound cake. What a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes. I made it without the glaze. Even though it's light on taste, it was moist and still very good. Just like a pound cake should be. I will definitely make it again... even Grandma, traditional home baker, enjoyed it!
Mar 13, 2011
I made this recipe for the first time today and god was it good and it can actually do without the glaze this recipe is a keeper
Dec 22, 2010
I made this for a friend who was craving "something sweet potato". It was made following the recipe and the suggestions about creaming for about 10 minutes. It made a huge difference in the texture. This pound cake was simply delicious, and I will definitely make it again. My friend was thrilled and said it tasted like her mother's recipe. :-)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.