Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 630 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2018
Cake was delicious and after a day, the cake was gone....all eaten. I used mini-chocolate chips instead of the regular size. In addition, I planned on doing the glaze but ran out of time. The powder sugar dusting mentioned by some below looked just as fancy as the glaze. I have tried a couple bundt cakes over the years and they always came out of the pan in pieces. I finally figured out that you need to paint the butter into the pan to get all of the corners....this worked perfect!
Apr 23, 2018
I just made this for a lunch for our church's college group. I used a 12 inch pan and the finished cake rose about 2 inches over the top (as another reviewer noted). I also found the batter felt a little too thick, so I added about 4 tablespoons of water and it was fine.This is a gorgeous, rich pound cake and everyone loved it and came back for seconds. I will definitely save this recipe and make it again.
Apr 1, 2018
Delicious! But as one reviewer mentioned, the recipe makes double the portion needed for a bunt pan.
Feb 11, 2018
It's not bad, but the batter was REALLY thick and rose 2" over the rim of the bunt pan. I double /triple checked the recipe as i was making and afterwards to be sure I hadn't missed a step or measured wrong. Not what I was expecting.
Jan 24, 2018
I didn't make the glaze for the top, but really, it didn't need it! It was great as is!
Jun 27, 2017
This cake turns out perfect! Love the chocolate glaze!!
Mar 17, 2017
I found this cake to be just okay. I thought it would be great due to all the rave reviews.
Apr 5, 2015
I just made this cake today for Easter and it was delicious! I used dark chocolate chips for the glaze. Make sure you grease the pan well as part of my cake got stuck. I will definitely make this again!
Jan 26, 2015
I adjusted for altitude and substituted half the sour cream for yogurt. I used a bigger tube pan so it was ready in 45 minutes and was moist. I didn't read the reviews before doing it: didn't dust the chips and they sank. I will try dusting them next time. Didn't use the glaze, and everybody loved it.
Dec 18, 2014
I made some adjustments to the recipe because I didn't have sour cream. So I used softened cream cheese. After mixing all of the ingredients together the batter seemed dry so I added milk until the batter was the right consistency. I baked the cake on 350 for about an hour an 10 minutes. I did make the glaze as well. The cake turned out wonderfully. I think using the cream cheese and milk made the cake lighter. I will definitely make this cake again!