Black Pepper Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pepper and extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each addition. Add flour alternately with cream and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 414 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2017
I followed the directions exactly and with it just won Best Cake in the in 2017 Washington State Fair. It is also a favorite among my co-workers. If fresh ground pepper is used, 1 Tbs. is plenty for a kick at the end.
Oct 1, 2016
Wonderful!! I used buttermilk instead of cream and we agree more pepper is great. This is a keeper! Just sorry it took me so long to find this gem!
Oct 2, 2014
LOVE this cake! It's a family favorite and a delightful surprise to all who try it.
Apr 2, 2012
This may have replaced my favorite pound cake recipe. Everyone's favorite at my place. I upped the pepper to 3 tablespoons (yes we really like fresh ground pepper) and added 3 tablespoons of Limoncello and the juice of 2 lemons and zest. This one really pops!
Feb 7, 2012
Surprisingly delicious. I made it for a friend who devours pepper. Everyone loved this recipe. Just gives a little kick.
Oct 15, 2009
I didn't personally like it but it is a winner at my workplace. One co-worker in particular simply loves it. So I will be making it for her birthday this year. S.W...Chattanooga