Dr Pepper Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix, regular size
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) Dr Pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container (12 ounces) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in Dr Pepper and vanilla.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in cocoa. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
Jul 10, 2018
Very easy to make. Moist but the icing was entirely too sweet.
Oct 21, 2017
Hi my name is beta jabbar and I would to learn how to make a Dr Pepper cake
Oct 1, 2015
Everyone I've made this cake for loves it. I usually do it in a 13x9 and bake for 30-35 minutes. Winner!
Sep 11, 2015
I made this cake but used a 11x9 cake pan. Gosh it is great. Really moist. Taking to my daughter for her birthday. She loves Dr Pepper, so I am hoping she will like this one. Makes a ton of frosting for this cake pan.
Feb 26, 2014
This is a very good flavor cake, moist and dense. I don't see how you can get 3 9 inch layers from this amount. I usually add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup sour cream to a boxed cake mix. That would increase the quantity for 3 9 inch layers. Thanks for the recipe.
Aug 29, 2013
I tried this recipe for the first time! In fact, I made 2 cakes & baked them both in a greased and floured fluted Bundt pan! I DID make some adjustments in this recipe-Iused one Devil's food cake mix for one cake and the other, I used the German Chocolate cake mix! I also added: 1/4 cupHershey's chocolate syrup & used 1 Tbsp. vanilla instead of 1 tsp. I also added 1packet of Cappuccino mix to the cake mix, eggs, pudding mix, chocolate syrup. Forthe icing, I used a 1 lb. canister of chocolate frosting, 1/4 cup cherry cola, 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and stirredicing ingredients together. I used this chocolate glazing to ice both the cakes after they cooled. I did let cakes cool in the cake pans 15 minutes to allow cakes to settle. Then I turned the cakes out to cool completely on wire racks. I know thisis a recipe which I'll use and I would substitute cherry cola or vanilla cola for theDr. Pepper! Shannon Parum, THANK YOUfor this recipe! I really enjoyed preparing it it! DELowenstein
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.