Easy, indulgent and requiring zero baking, our ice cream sandwich cake is made for too-hot-to-bake summer days. A base layer of nostalgic ice cream sandwiches is topped with a layer of golden caramel sauce and fluffy whipped topping. The fun doesn’t stop there (chocolate lovers, prepare yourselves!). A drizzle of chocolate sauce tops everything, followed by crumbled Symphony chocolate bars. The choice is up to you whether to add the cherry on top.
This ice cream cake with ice cream sandwiches comes together in mere minutes, with the added benefit of not dirtying up any bowls. It’s the perfect dessert to make with kids, especially for a birthday party.
Ingredients for Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Ice cream sandwiches: This ice cream sandwich cake recipe uses those nostalgic ice cream sandwiches we loved while growing up. You know the ones: two ultra-soft, rectangular chocolate cookies sandwiching an inch of vanilla ice cream.
- Caramel topping: Feel free to use store-bought, or go for the gold and make your own homemade salted caramel sauce.
- Whipped topping: Any frozen whipped topping, such as Cool Whip or your grocery store’s own brand, will do. Just avoid canned whipped cream!
- Chocolate syrup: If you don’t already have chocolate syrup in your fridge, most grocery stores have it readily available. You can also make your own thick and delicious chocolate sauce!
- Symphony candy bars: Made with creamy milk chocolate and loaded with nutty almonds and toffee, Symphony bars are a true treat. You can find these candy bars at most grocery and convenience stores.
Step 1: Arrange the ice cream sandwiches
Organize nine ice cream sandwiches in a single layer in an ungreased 13×9-inch dish. Cut the remaining ice cream sandwiches to fill the gaps in the dish.
Step 2: Layer
Spread the top of ice cream sandwiches with the caramel and whipped toppings. Drizzle the chocolate syrup on top. Sprinkle the chopped candy bar evenly over the top.
Editor’s Tip: Using a mini offset spatula to spread out the toppings offers the best control. A butter knife or the back of a spoon work well too.
Step 3: Freeze
Cover with storage wrap, and freeze for at least 45 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherries on top if desired.
- Switch up the candy bar topping: You can basically use any of your favorite candy bars here. Snickers would be outstanding.
- Garnish with extras: A nice bag of the best chocolate chips or toasted and chopped nuts would also make a good topping before finishing with the cherries. You can’t go wrong with fun sprinkles either!
- Swap out the chocolate syrup: Don’t forget, there are other ice cream syrup flavors! Strawberry, butterscotch or peanut butter topping would work perfectly here.
How to Store Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This ice cream dessert should last five to seven days in your freezer. Be sure to store it covered so it doesn’t get freezer burn!
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Tips
How far in advance should you thaw the frozen whipped topping?
Allow plenty of time to thaw the frozen whipped topping in the refrigerator. As for the ice cream sandwiches, be sure to keep them in the freezer until it’s time to assemble the cake.
What kind of ice cream sandwiches should you use?
Use your favorite ice cream sandwiches! We recommend rectangular or square to fit the 13×9-inch dish. If you really wanna go gourmet, make your own homemade ice cream sandwiches.