Delicious Chocolate Sauce
Dressing up a dish of ice cream is especially easy with this sauce. It mixes together in a matter of minutes! The sauce serves another purpose, too. One batch yields so much, I have plenty extra to pour into pint jars and give out as gifts. —Dorothy Anderson, Ottawa, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat; stir in sugar and salt. Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm or at room temperature (sauce will thicken upon cooling). Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoon: 87 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Delicious Chocolate Sauce in Crafting Traditions July/August 1995