Special Chocolate Treats
I serve these lovely cookies to guests. They freeze well. —Walter Max, Wabasha, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and salt. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- For filling, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl; stir until smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup for glaze. To remaining chocolate, stir in the pecans, milk, vanilla and salt. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
- Place a 16x12-in. piece of foil in a greased baking sheet; lightly sprinkle with flour. Divide dough in half; place one portion on foil. Roll into a 14x5-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise on half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Using foil, fold dough over filling; seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- For glaze, warm reserved chocolate; stir in corn syrup and water. Spread over cookies. Cool completely. Cut widthwise into 3/4-in. strips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Special Chocolate Treats in Taste of Home February/March 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.