Frosted Chocolate Delights
Before we five kids headed off to school each day, Mom took our requests for that day's dinner. I usually asked her to make these cookies for dessert, and she would rarely disappoint. I still enjoy them today. —Patricia Ramczyk, Appleton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Beat in chocolate until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 99 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Frosted Chocolate Delights in Best of Country Cookies