Chocolate Marshmallow Meltaways
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 18 large marshmallows, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Press a marshmallow half, cut side down, onto each cookie; bake 2 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 261 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 8, 2017
My family loved these! I used whole milk instead of 2% and added some sprinkles. Fun to make with kids!
Jun 15, 2013
My kids really enjoyed helping with these, especially the marshmallow. They were very sweet and chocolatey.
Jun 13, 2013
The kids really enjoyed helping with these, especially putting on the marshmallow. Extra sweet and chocolatey.
Apr 18, 2013
I had half a bag of marshmallows that I wanted to use up. I always check TOH first, because the recipes are tried and true, for arecipe and found this one. I like the moistness of the cookie. The cookie it's self is not that sweet and the marshmallow and frosting compliment each other. My husband said Mmmm! Cool! I used a small cookie scoop ( just the right size fir the cookie) and got 42 cookies. I made my frosting a little stiff and just frosted the top of the marshmallow.
Mar 2, 2013
I really enjoyed these cookies. They are different from anything I have in my recipe box and that's what I like so much about them. I agree with another reviewer... they are rich, but good! I used a scooper to form my cookies and I only got 28 instead of 36. The cookie is on the drier side, but with the marshmallow and icing, everything balances out. I will definitely make again!
Feb 19, 2012
These cookies were delicious, my husband and 3 year old son's preschool class loved them as well! I will definitely make them again as they'll be asking for them.
Feb 2, 2012
Absolutely delicious! It is rich, but one of the best cookie recipes I have found, and yet so simple.
Feb 1, 2012
One of my favorite cookie recipes. Nice and chocolatey and gooey. Though I admit I cheat and use pre-made frosting rather than make my own.
Sep 10, 2011
Really good cookies!
Feb 15, 2011
I made dozens of cookies for Christmas this last December. These were by far the #1 choice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.