Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cream Filling
Moist, tender chocolate cake conceals a marshmallow filling in these delightful treats. They’re yummy even without frosting. —Deborah Lowery, Middleport, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Assorted seasonal sprinkles and candies
- In a small bowl, combine the boiling water, cocoa and coffee. Stir until cocoa is dissolved; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in cocoa mixture and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine hot water and salt; stir until dissolved. Cool. In a large bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and salt mixture. Beat until fluffy.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with marshmallow filling. Push the tip through the top to fill each cupcake.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles and candies as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 frosted cupcake (calculated without decorations): 328 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Yummy Filled Chocolate Cupcakes in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.