Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- White nonpareils, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 16 muffin cups with foil liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk water, applesauce, oil, vinegar and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. If desired, stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and cream; cook and stir over low heat 3-5 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool at room temperature until glaze is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Dip tops of cupcakes into glaze. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake (calculated without optional ingredients): 148 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 30, 2019
These cupcakes are outrageously delicious! I have made them several times and everyone raves about them - so moist! I make 12 out of this recipe. I appreciate that when using fat free half and half, they are very low in saturated fat. Highly recommended!