Candy Bar Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Snickers candy bars (2.07 ounces each), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; mix well. Stir in the candy bars.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups one-third full with batter. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into the center of each cupcake (cups will be about half full). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the filling comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the milk, then confectioners' sugar. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 10, 2014
These were okay......I didn't frost them, as I liked how they looked when they came out of the oven, but I think they need the frosting. And I may have over baked them. I will make these again, but with the frosting and will watch my bake time. Sorry if this review doesn't help anyone else, but I need it as a reminder for my recipe box, for when I make them again.
Feb 23, 2014
could use a different candy bar because of peanut allergies and/or ease of cutting up the candy. Frosting very good but even with cooling consistency was not as pictured for volume of swirls on cupcakes. 20 min max baking time
Feb 17, 2012
Delicious! My family Loved them!
Nov 30, 2011
With the cream cheese filling, do the cupcakes need to be stored refrigerated?
Jan 10, 2011
These cupcakes are fantastic--so moist! I made 2 changes--used dark chocolate cocoa powder and reduced-fat cream cheese. The icing is delicious, too!
Dec 21, 2010
Dec 13, 2010
Forgot to give it a 5 star!
Dec 13, 2010
I make and decorate cupcakes all the time. This is a winning cupcake, not easy to make at all..simple, actually. Just a few steps, but oh so worth it. I will add this too my file, they were very good.
Mar 20, 2010
My family enjoyed these cupcakes!!
Dec 29, 2009
I agree, too much trouble for a cupcake. Also, to the reviewer of Dec. 15, 2009. This is a rate and review board. Why would I want to make a recipe if only people that liked it reviewed. Everybody has different likes and dislikes and a person should be able to rate and review accordingly. You then get suggestions and find out if you truly want to try the recipe