Chocolate Angel Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Frosting
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes, adding cocoa when mixing.
- Fill foil- or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 11-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the sour cream, confectioners' sugar and extract until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 142 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2014
Hands down, the worst recipe I have ever made from Taste of Home. Tastes like fake chocolate air, and the sour cream/cool whip combo is not a good one. You just cannot get a decent chocolate taste by adding cocoa to angel food mix; you need to use actual chocolate mix. The only reason it gets 2 stars instead of one is because they turned out the way they were supposed to.
May 16, 2014
I baked these for my staff and for a baby shower, and they were a big hit both times. They're easy to make, and taste better the day after you bake them. Make sure to keep them refrigerated. I will definitely make them again.
May 15, 2014
These are fantastic! Light and flavorful. I topped half with the coconut and half with raspberries. Big hit!
May 8, 2014
just follow the directions on the box and add in cocoa and use oven temp that is for cake
May 8, 2014
quaintcook, follow the directions on the box to make the cake but add the cocoa. Then pour that batter into the cupcake tins as described to make the cupcakes. There are no directions on the cake box for cupcakes. Hope this helps.
May 8, 2014
I want to try this but it says to follow directions on angel food cake mix box for cupcakes and there is no recipe for cupcakes on the box. Can anyone help? Have to click 4 stars because I feel the directions are incomplete.
Jan 13, 2012
OMG! These are awesome! I made them last night and brought them into work today. Everyone loved them and everyone asked for the recipe. My husband said they were the best cupcake yet! The cake was light and fluffy just like angel food cake is, and the frosting was not too overpowering. YUM! Definately will make many more times. Thanks!!