Marshmallow-Filled Banana Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 373 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
May 5, 2020
These turned out great. If you like banana bread you will like these. I put them in the big muffin tins, it yielded only 11 of them. I didn't care for the frosting so I used Dunkin Hines Whipped Fluffy White frosting which I had in the cabinet. I would make them again!
Sep 27, 2019
These cupcakes for me were much too sweet and very flat. The batter seemed too thin even though I did not exceed the cup of mashed bananas. The temperature seemed to be too high for cupcakes and the baking time too long. Won't make these again.
Jan 29, 2019
One of my “go to”s.
Feb 19, 2017
If you like bananas, banana bread you will love this recipe. I made these awesome cupcakes for my grand children. They were a hit. Easy to follow and fast to complete. If you do not have a cookie press (great idea) I used a 1 to 1.5 inch round cookie cutter to cut out middle. Using a knife to remove middle was easy. The middle stayed in tact and squeezing the cream into the middle of the cupcakes, using a pint baggie with the corner cut out, made stuffing go quick. Replacing the middle was easy. I then place a dob of cream filling on the top of cupcake to cover the cut in the top.I will make these again!
Jun 29, 2016
Easy and delicious - a huge hit with adults and kids. Took these to work - devoured in a few short minutes. Very moist.
Mar 22, 2015
Wonderful cupcakes. Was a little hard to make due to being messy. But, now that I know how, the next ones will be a breeze and YES, I will make these often! Took some to work and everyone is begging for repeats!
Feb 19, 2015
These were really good. My kids love marshmallows so this was a huge hit. They are a bit on the sweet side so you could omit the filling to reduce the sweetness.
Jan 20, 2015
These were just a little too sweet with the filling and icing. If I make them again I will either fill them or ice them not both but the actual cupcake recipe was very good
Jan 18, 2015
Excellent! I added coconut to the batter and they were delicious. My husband isn't a "cupcake" person and said that these were possibly the best cupcakes he has ever had.
Jan 18, 2015
What is marshmallow creme? Is it the same as marshmallow fluff? Im going to try it with marshmallow fluff