Heavenly Chocolate Mousse
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a microwave, microwave the chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter until the chocolate and butter are melted; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 205 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 25, 2015
I love this recipe. Tonight when I was making it, for the second time, everything that could go wrong did. My whipping cream was frozen and had to have someone run to the store, then I failed to read and forgot to whip the cream first, que hand mixer. The point is my mousse is still perfect!
Jun 26, 2015
Could you please tell me if I can use milk chocolate with minimum intensity, instead of semisweet chocolate...As I have got that in my pantry.And if I add milk chocolate then do I really have to add sugar???Quick response will be highly appreciated as I have a dinner next week and really want to try this mousse.
Feb 28, 2015
Very good and chocolatey! My husband loved it. It made 4 small servings. I need to double it next time.
May 5, 2014
This is a wonderful recipe, we are going to do it again this weekend.
Jun 16, 2013
I loved this recipe. It was wonderful!
Dec 12, 2012
This was the best mousse I ever tasted! It was really easy to follow and everyone at my party loved it! it was really dark (like heavenly chocolate is supposed to be) so I added whipped cream on top right before serving it (so the cram wouldn't go flat). The first time i made this recipe I refrigerated it for only 4 hrs which was not even close to enough time! overnight is good, but if your making a really big batch and putting it in one huge bowl, i suggest refrigerating it for 2 days (that's what i did)!
May 2, 2012
This is my absolute favorite recipe for chocolate mousse - not too sweet, very chocolate-y, delicious!
Feb 13, 2012
This is hands-down my husband's favorite recipe. I make it for him alone. No one else is allowed to have any!
Jan 29, 2012
I didn't care for this Mousse. I found the recipe tasting like Whipping cream with chocolate syrup added. I added 3 egg yolks. The yolks were from large eggs. I think if I ever cook this again I would add 5 yolks. Something has to be done to make this recipe taste like a mousse and I think more egg yolks is what is needed.
Dec 24, 2011
We made this recipe last year for Christmas Eve and everyone asked for more! I will be making it again tonight, but doubling the recipe this time!