Chocolate Lover’s Mousse Torte
With layer after luscious layer of creamy filling and cake, Chocolate Lover’s Mousse Torte proves irresistible every time. —Brenda Fisher, Stella, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating just until combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Beat in confectioners' sugar mixture and vanilla. While beating, gradually add gelatin until stiff peaks form.
- Trim cake edges; cut crosswise into fourths. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup filling. Repeat layers three times. Refrigerate until serving.