Chocolate Lover’s Mousse Torte
With layer after luscious layer of creamy filling and cake, Chocolate Lover’s Mousse Torte proves irresistible every time. —Brenda Fisher, Stella, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating just until combined. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Beat in confectioners' sugar mixture and vanilla. While beating, gradually add gelatin until stiff peaks form.
- Trim cake edges; cut crosswise into fourths. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup filling. Repeat layers three times. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 409 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015