Peppermint Red Velvet Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring, optional
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 31 peppermint candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream, food coloring if desired, and vinegar. Combine the flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Press crushed candies on top and sides of cake. Arrange whole candies around bottom of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 702 calories, 35g fat (22g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 23, 2013
This cake had a nice subtle peppermint flavor to it. The candy pieces on top ran though & it dried out within 2 days of making it.
Sep 23, 2013
This cake was way too sweet and soggy. I threw it out
Jan 19, 2013
Fairly easy to make, very pretty to serve and everyone loved it!
Jan 6, 2013
my crushed pepper mints bled all down my cake as well.Frosting needed to have a thicker consistency and sweeter taste. Next time I will add more confectioner's sugar. The cake itself was very light ,moist and airy.
Dec 21, 2012
Taste was great but cake was a disaster! I made the cake the day before a party. It baked up and decorated so beautifully. I put it in a cake carrier to bring to the party and when I got up the next morning the cake had melted, literally. The icing had not melted and run off the cake but the peppermint was melting and pulling the icing down so much it split the cake into 3 almost perfect sections. I was heartbroken but ate some anyway. Finally had to throw it out because it kept melting and running out of the cake keeper onto the cabinet. Icing never melted off the cake. It was the strangest thing I had ever experienced. Any suggestions?
Dec 18, 2012
Can you put sour cream if you are making from a box cake mix?
Dec 15, 2012
This was a hit! The cake baked up beautifully. I will definitely make this recipe again and try other flavoring in the frosting.
Nov 30, 2012
If you do not have sour cream to make it moist, Mayo also works to keep a cake moist and delicious. Works well in cake box recipes also.
Nov 30, 2012
I've had a recipe for Red Velvet Cake for 40+ years but find it dry. This one w/ the addition of sour cream makes a moist delicious cake Thanks!!