Molten Peppermint-Chocolate Cakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and chocolate over low heat until blended, stirring constantly; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add eggs, egg yolks, sugar, extract and salt to chocolate mixture; mix well. Stir in flour. Pour into four greased 6-oz. custard cups or ramekins.
- Place custard cups on a baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and edges of cakes are set.
- Remove from oven; let stand 1 minute. Run a knife around sides of cakes; remove to dessert plates. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 509 calories, 40g fat (22g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 8, 2014
Well that hit the chocolate craving spot like no other. I did a few things differently. For one, I left out the peppermint extract because I didn't want to mess with pure chocolate. So yeah, totally different. I added vanilla extract instead. I didn't have bittersweet chocolate so I used 2/3 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. I also didn't have the right size ramekins so I baked it in slightly larger custard cups and cut the cooking time down to eight minutes, which was perfect. It might just require some experimenting with what you have.