Mint-Frosted Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MINT FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring
- 24 mint Andes candies, chopped
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Additional mint Andes candies, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of three greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, water, oil, sour cream, vinegar, and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in mint extract and food coloring.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup mint frosting. Sprinkle with half of the mints. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate until set.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Stir in corn syrup. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Pour over cake and quickly spread to edges. If desired, top with additional mints. Refrigerate until serving.
May 20, 2020
I can't wait to make this cake! I would also enjoy your peanut butter version, if you don't mind sharing it.
Mar 24, 2019
Outstanding! One of the best cakes I’ve ever made. So moist and yummy. My son loved it as his birthday cake! Followed the directions exactly.
Mar 19, 2019
This passes with flying colours, and I am not a chocolate mint fan. On top of that, my sister's family is not big on cakes, and I had made 2 of these for her -- the 1st cake was devoured in 1 night, and they started on the 2nd for breakfast the next day!!! I was worried that the cream cheese would be too strong in the icing, but after sitting for a few hours the flavours balanced out and it was delicious. I tweaked it a bit to suit my own purposes, too -- 1) I did half white (butter) cake half chocolate sour cream cake (in each pan, so they were 1/2 white
Mar 13, 2019
This sounds delicious but I would love to know the recipe for the chocolate peanut butter version please.
Mar 13, 2019
i love mint so much,mmmmmm
Dec 21, 2017
I really love chocolate cake. And you have made it with cream cheese icing, it's really going to be awesome in taste.You have really done a nice job. As you have shared the best things for me. Even this recipes can be made in busy time also. It's really special for me. http://cake-delivery.in/kota