Nana’s Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- Dash peppermint extract
- 1 drop green food coloring, optional
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Mint Andes candies, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Mix cocoa and boiling water until smooth; cool completely.
- Beat butter and sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, butter, cream and extract until smooth. If desired, tint frosting green with food coloring. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread over cupcakes. If desired, top with candies.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 253 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 11, 2019
I am a big fan of chocolate w/ mint. This is a great combination - not too chocolaty and not too minty. The Andes Candies are the perfect touch, too!
Mar 24, 2019
Excellent recipe. Cupcake batter was thin but turned out just fine. Makes the perfect amount of icing that adds the special touch