Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CINNAMON FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon over each cupcake.
- Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add milk; beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 280 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2016
I love the cupcake and the frosting. But my daughter (who made cupcakes for her very first time) thinks the frosting tastes to much like powered sugar...... Did we do something wrong?
Oct 27, 2016
This came out great but I was surprised while making it there wasn't any cinnamon in the batter. Maybe it's because I was going to make cinnamon bread before I saw this! So I added 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon to the batter and freshly ground nutmeg. Tasted divine. I just laid off the cinnamon amount in the frosting. And perfect!!!
Dec 29, 2013
Excellent flavour and texture. For me, I found that the recipe did not quite make 18, but worth the effort. Definitely a make again.
Aug 30, 2013
The description says that these take "a little work," but I thought they were fairly easy to make. Even if they were difficult to make, it would be worth the effort. The cinnamon is just one simple step that makes a big difference in flavor. I enjoyed the light, moist texture of the cake, and the frosting set nicely (it did not stick to the covering that I used to transport).
Jul 13, 2013
I always make these cupcakes for birthdays and for dance shows. Everyone always loves these cupcakes! I follow the recipe exactly and everything turns out amazing! Everyone can't just have one! These cupcakes are amazing! Can't wait to make them again! They take time but they are worth it! I love these cupcakes!
Mar 22, 2013
These were such wonderful cupcakes! i love cinnamon so i added more cinn to the cupcakes and to the frosting! they turned out great! My niece helped me make them and we had alot of fun! Dont be afraid to play around with the recipe!
Feb 19, 2012
I can't believe how soft these cupcakes were!! I made a batch for my husband to bring into his crew at work and had to keep my son away from them! Guess I'll be making these again VERY soon!!!
Dec 16, 2011
My husband and I were looking for yummy cupcakes to take to a childrens Christmas party and these are perfect! The sweet frosting is perfect for the dense cake the recipe makes. Now they are a family favorite.
Oct 26, 2009
These did not turn out all. It was a lot of work for nothing edible. I followed the recipe exactly.