Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples, optional
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples and brown sugar; cook and stir until apples are tender, 10-12 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, cut a 1-in.-wide cone-shaped piece from top of each cupcake; discard removed portion. Fill cavity with apple mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine all frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. If desired, top with apple slices to serve.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 300 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 3, 2019
Yummy! I loved the unexpected apple flavor mixed in with a cupcake. Icing was sufficient to give each cupcake a healthy dose of frosting.
Oct 23, 2019
Easy and delicious! the seniors at our community bingo night loved them!!
Oct 6, 2019
Fun and easy! Taste great! I’m not a huge fan or a lot of buttercream so on some I just iced on a thin layer and put extra apple pie filling on top
Sep 28, 2019
My family and friends loved these cupcakes! I did add a heaping teaspoon of pie spice to my apple mixture as I am just a big fan of those spices - everyone raved about these cupcakes! I've actually just made a big batch of the pie filling (with the addition of the pie spice) to put in jars and freeze to have on hand for upcoming baking projects - it's that good! For the reviewer who "tsk tsk'd" - seriously?! If you don't use boxed anything (I don't either) just make your own yellow cupcake and make it that way. The filling and icing are both delicious - thanks for a great autumn recipe that I am definitely saving!
Sep 13, 2019
Sep 13, 2019
Brought these for a potluck and everyone loved them.
Sep 8, 2019
Tsk Tsk - cake mixes not allowed in my house .... too many additives
Sep 4, 2019
These are so good. Will certainly make them again.
Aug 12, 2019
These are delicious and so easy to make.
Jan 31, 2019
These were very good