Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream
These cupcakes are always a hit! They are so easy to make and the flavor just screams fall—of course, they're just as delicious any time of year, too. —Jennifer Stowell, Deep River, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples, optional
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples and brown sugar; cook and stir until apples are tender, 10-12 minutes or . In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes or. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, cut a 1-in.-wide cone-shaped piece from top of each cupcake; discard removed portion. Fill cavity with apple mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine all frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. If desired, top with apple slices to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 300 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting in Taste of Home November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.