Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons melted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.
- For filling, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples; saute until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with apple mixture; replace tops. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 1/3 cup filling: 496 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 1, 2017
I made this recipe exactly as specified (other than cutting it in half), using Gravenstein apples. I got 5 1/4-cups of dough instead of the 4 that the recipe predicted. Both my husband and I rated it a 4-star dessert. He liked the shortcake but thought there was too much cinnamon in the apples. I thought both the shortcake and apples were very good but not great. I liked the dessert's uniqueness but I didn't have an urge for seconds! I might try adding nuts to the apples next time....
Sep 29, 2016
So good. Great fall spin on the traditional shortcake. Drizzled with caramel or served over ice cream, both were winners!
Oct 13, 2015
There so good mad these with my grandauther
Oct 12, 2015
This is a wonderful way to saute apples. I have been doing this for 40 years as an accompaniment to pork roast and chops. Also wonderful topping for ice cream and gingerbread. Note to tinafizz: my favorite apples for sauteing are Golden Delicious. They hold their shape and do not need to be peeled!
Nov 28, 2014
This would be great for that one time of year through the Holidays to make.
Oct 13, 2014
This was delicious! Very easy to make too. I also got more shortcakes then what the recipe said. I had to taste one before serving it and it was so good by itself. My apples did get a little mushy. Does any one know what type of apple would work best for this recipe?
Sep 13, 2014
Very Good! The only change we made was to double the filling/apple mixture. Great dessert for a cool fall day! The shortcakes are very tender and wonderful served warm.
Sep 11, 2014
So yummy thank you !!!!!!
Oct 23, 2013
Oct 13, 2013
This is the kind of shortcake we made for all fruit, nix the cinnamon for, say, strawberry shortcake. I like it a lot better than the sponge cake type, I like the added crunch. When the filling is very hot, pour a little milk or cream over it, or top with whipped cream. Very good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.