Mixed Fruit Shortcakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, peaches and 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by lightly packed 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten into 2-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon fruit onto bottoms; spread whipped cream over fruit or on the shortcake tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 15, 2011
Very tasty, extremely easy! I replaced the recipe's fruit with a bowl of blueberries and cut up strawberries; the tartness of those fruits contrasted very well with the sweetness of the biscuit and whipped cream. The dough was extremely dry and crumbly, so I added a very little milk and molded them with my hands. Perfect dessert for two!