Mixed Fruit Shortcakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, peaches and 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by lightly packed 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten into 2-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon fruit onto bottoms; spread whipped cream over fruit or on the shortcake tops.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake: 329 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 15, 2011
Very tasty, extremely easy! I replaced the recipe's fruit with a bowl of blueberries and cut up strawberries; the tartness of those fruits contrasted very well with the sweetness of the biscuit and whipped cream. The dough was extremely dry and crumbly, so I added a very little milk and molded them with my hands. Perfect dessert for two!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.