Strawberry Biscuit Shortcake
IT SEEMS Mom was always making biscuits. She served them plain for breakfast and dinner, especially when we had stew or baked beans. My favorite was when she served them like this—topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream! —Elaine Gagnon Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 4 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3 tablespoons milk until a thick batter forms.
- Drop four mounds of batter onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining milk.
- Bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Layer biscuits with berries and whipped cream in small bowls or on dessert plates.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 284 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Biscuit Shortcake in Reminisce Extra June 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.