Strawberry Lemon Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, mix softened butter and lemon zest until blended. In another bowl, toss strawberries with sugar; let stand while preparing shortcakes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk milk and egg yolk until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough into four portions; pat each into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half. Top bottoms with whipped cream and strawberries. Spread tops with lemon-butter mixture; place over strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake: 394 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 1, 2019
Outstanding, will make again.
May 28, 2019
Absolutely to die for. We didn't add the lemon topping at the end but did include the zest in the biscuit. Just a hint of lemon and it was perfection. Will never change recipes!!!!!
Jun 18, 2017