Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and more berries. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2019
This simple and delicious recipe is super easy to throw together. So easy that I did mine by hand. Like the others I used Butter. Its nice and rich without being overly sweet. Loved how the cake absorbed all of those wonderful berry Juices. I suggest trying this one ! VFE.
Mar 18, 2019
I never rate recipes but this one was so impressive I had to give it 5 stars. So easy. Completely delicious. You can’t go wrong. I used butter instead of shortening and added some extra milk. It turned out great even my picky eaters downed it and said it was the best strawberry shortcake they’ve ever had. Mom win.
Mar 7, 2019
I modified the recipe, I used 1/4 C butter, 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla. It turned out great and my husband loved it!
Feb 12, 2019
This is the old fashioned shortcake. Many of us were brought up on the little round sponge cakes from the store. Cklee1403, you might want to try a sponge cake recipe. There's a good one on this site.
May 30, 2018
Ridiculous! This was so so delicious! We will make again and again and again. I made it exactly as the recipe stated.
Apr 23, 2018
Really liked this recipe. Delicious! Hubby loved it too!
Apr 15, 2018
I made this as written. It was delicious. It was light and fluffy and not too sweet. Perfect with strawberries and whipped cream. I will definitely be making this again.
Dec 31, 2017
I decided to make this as a late Christmas present for my boyfriend and it looks like a biscuit and a few peoples reviews said something about it turning out as a biscuit....Is that what it's supposed to be like?
Jul 5, 2017
This looked really good and there wasn't anything wrong with it but it just wasn't what I was looking for.Unlike some other reviewers I don't care for the biscuit type shortcake and that is what this tastes like to me.Ine review thought it too sweet but I didn't think it was sweet enough.Will keep searching for a shortcake recipe
Jun 27, 2017
Perfect! Easy to make and great flavor (I added extra vanilla) Goes perfect with sweetened strawberries.