Best Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a 6-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray, slightly building up the edges. Bake at 450° for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cut cake horizontally in half. Soften remaining butter. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with butter. Top with half of strawberries and cream mixture. Repeat layers of cake, strawberries and cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 420 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 7, 2020
Much better when you mascerate the berries first! I prefer mine warm in a bowl covered with the berries
May 22, 2020
Wasn't at all what I expected. Didn't rise enough, not sweet enough, and there wouldn't have been enough whipping cream if i hadn't doubled the whip cream recipe....still was sparse.
May 21, 2020
I tried this yesterday and I love it. Nice and soft and crunchy on the top. Not dry like most shortcake recipes.
May 19, 2020
did not like the shortcake. Much to bland and dry
Nov 26, 2019
When i was mixing the batter, it looked so much like crumbs that i thought i messed up, so i added extra liquid. I was also confused by how little batter it was, so i made double. Even though i messed up, it came out good, albeit too crumbly to cut in half and layer. It was delicious, though. So i suggest you making it how the recipe says the first time lol. Give it a chance.
Mar 22, 2016
Just perfect, baked up golden and was the right amount of not too sweet. Great for 2 people!
Aug 7, 2011
Crispy on outside and fluffy in the inside. Very easy and quick. Perfect for 4 people!