Best Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and half-and-half; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a 6-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray, slightly building up the edges. Bake at 450° for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cut cake horizontally into two. Soften remaining butter. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with butter. Top with half of strawberries and cream mixture. Repeat layers of cake, strawberries and cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 420 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 26, 2019
When i was mixing the batter, it looked so much like crumbs that i thought i messed up, so i added extra liquid. I was also confused by how little batter it was, so i made double. Even though i messed up, it came out good, albeit too crumbly to cut in half and layer. It was delicious, though. So i suggest you making it how the recipe says the first time lol. Give it a chance.
Mar 22, 2016
Just perfect, baked up golden and was the right amount of not too sweet. Great for 2 people!
Aug 7, 2011
Crispy on outside and fluffy in the inside. Very easy and quick. Perfect for 4 people!