- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extracts. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream. Beat just until combined.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 325° for 15-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat shortening until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.
1 each: 319 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.