Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Yellow food coloring
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, red shoestring licorice and candy corn
- Prepare cake batter mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, tint frosting yellow. Frost cupcakes. Press two chocolate chips into each cupcake for eyes. For mouths, cut licorice into 1-in. pieces; bend slightly to curve. Press one licorice piece into each cupcake. Add candy corn around edges of cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 9, 2019
These were so cute and perfect for a Summer barbecue I went to.
Dec 12, 2016
ADORABLE!!!!! SUPER SIMPLE!!!!!
Feb 20, 2015
These were perfect for a beach theme party! I did not need to tint the frosting, used a 'spring time' yellow canned frosting. I did keep the 'spokes' of the sunshine points as far on the cupcakes as possible to prevent the candy corn from being knocked off during handling. As a Taste of Home volunteer food editor I love recipes that have a creative touch for themed parties.
Oct 5, 2014
Easy and adorable!!
Dec 21, 2012
i made this as a fun side dessert for Thanksgiving. While cute and easy to make, the candy corn seemed to melt or break off ? not sure what happened. It was mostly the candy corns like in the picture, and i also had some of the "autumn" colored candy corns, they didn't do this for some reason. very strange. But the cupcakes were good and they were a fun dessert.
Jul 31, 2012
Fun to make
Oct 24, 2010
My kids and their friends loved these! They were actually easy enough that I let the kids make them themselves. Just adorable. Only thinkg is - not all kids like lemon cake, but you can substitute yellow cake mix.
Oct 12, 2010
so easy to make and kids and adults love them
Oct 4, 2010
Simple to make and fun to eat! These added just the right touch to my daughter's rainbow-themed birthday party!
Aug 26, 2010
I have not made these yet but I think they are adorable. I also think you could put a chocolate kiss in the middle and call it a sunflower. Love it!