Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- LEMON COCONUT FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Shredded lemon zest, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, grated lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup coconut. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish with shredded lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 10, 2017
I took this to a gathering and they loved them. I made a few changes. For the cake part, I added lemon extract and I did the same with the icing--added lemon extract and lemon juice. All my ingredients were purchased at Aldi's. I used their creamy butter, Lactose free milk too. Great recipe. will make again. Shared it with my friends too.
Dec 18, 2015
These were so delicious. Definitely a 5 star rating. Loved them!
Dec 5, 2012
Nice flavor. Loved the icing.
Nov 23, 2012
Moist and delicious... a winner
Jan 2, 2011
My daughter & I enjoyed making these cupcakes. I love coconut & like the way the lemon compliments it. Very good & the cream cheese frosting is so refreshing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.