Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- LEMON COCONUT FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Shredded lemon zest, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, grated lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup coconut. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish with shredded lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2017
I took this to a gathering and they loved them. I made a few changes. For the cake part, I added lemon extract and I did the same with the icing--added lemon extract and lemon juice. All my ingredients were purchased at Aldi's. I used their creamy butter, Lactose free milk too. Great recipe. will make again. Shared it with my friends too.
Dec 18, 2015
These were so delicious. Definitely a 5 star rating. Loved them!
Dec 5, 2012
Nice flavor. Loved the icing.
Nov 23, 2012
Moist and delicious... a winner
Jan 2, 2011
My daughter & I enjoyed making these cupcakes. I love coconut & like the way the lemon compliments it. Very good & the cream cheese frosting is so refreshing.