Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup lemon creme pie filling
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and lemon zest; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with pie filling. Push the tip into the top of each cupcake to fill.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Pipe over tops of cupcakes.
- Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 153 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 2, 2015
These are really delicious. I took them to work and they disappeared fast. I did not use canned lemon pie filliong. I made my own from scratch - it does not take too long. They were pretty tasty the next day too.
Mar 22, 2014
These were delicious. I followed the directions exactly and they were easy and turned out great. They were still the good the next day too after sitting in the fridge overnight.
Feb 12, 2014
Love to make but what is lemon creme pie filling? Is it in a can or a box? Can someone help me on this? Thanks.
Jan 30, 2014
I made these for my church and everyone loved them....awesome recipe
Jan 30, 2014
So very good, moist too. They are devoured in no time at all.
Jan 27, 2014
Can't wait till Spring think these sound divine for Easter dinner. To Carol Jackson.. you can find lemon pie filling in the pudding isle and Musselmen's makes it and cans it along with Key Lime pie filling.
Jan 25, 2014
look so good, can't wait to try them. to golliwog--you should be able to freeze cupcakes WITHOUT the meringue. Add the meringue when ready to serve.
Jan 24, 2014
What is "lemon creme pie filling"/ There is no product like that available in our stores. The lemon curd idea sounds good.
Jan 24, 2014
These sound great BUT can they be frozen?
Oct 1, 2013
I made these for my family last night and they loved them. I used lemon curd instead of pie filling and the taste was great. I used a torch to brown the meringue, much faster and easier then the oven. Definitely a keeper. Thank you.