Lemon Meringue Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture; stir just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue onto muffins. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 188 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 20, 2017
YUM! I think most people consider lemon a springtime flavor. But, what a way to brighten mid-winter blues! I cored my cupcakes and filled them with homemade lemon curd. Sooo good!!
Jun 9, 2015
We enjoyed these and I didn't even make the meringue. A light dessert. Plenty of flavor,
Mar 6, 2015
This is the first muffin recipe I have tried and I'm very satisfied. I used orange instead of lemon. Texture is smooth and taste is delicous. At last I've found a simple and flavorful recipe.
May 31, 2014
These would be good of you hollowed out a small portion and filled with lemon curd before the meringue. The lemon curd would be that tartness the cupcakes don't have.
Apr 5, 2014
These muffins are so good. The meringue was easy too. I put the meringue in a plastic bag and cut a small hole at bottom corner. Easy breezy. My granddaughter said the only thing that would make these better was if there was a filling. I'm working on that.. I also brought them to a dinner with friends. They look beautiful.
Mar 25, 2014
Loved the flavor of these muffins! Making the meringue was so easy and adds a nice touch. Thanks!
Feb 19, 2014
very tasty and far easier to make than I was anticipating.
Feb 16, 2014
I made these tonight and the lemon flavor was not very strong. I followed the recipe exactly. I will try again and add more extract.
May 4, 2011
Loved them. The batter was amazing and I had to force myself to actually bake them. Not to heavy or to sweet either.
Apr 6, 2011
This was a great recipe. My husband loves lemon meringue pie and he thought these were a close second. The meringue did not weep, although I just made them a few hours ago. The only change I would make next time is to maybe fill the inside with some lemon curd.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.