Lemon-Streusel Blueberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- LEMON STREUSEL:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts; beat well. Beat in milk. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, lemon zest and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake 23-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 262 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 28, 2018
Delicious! A thicker dough/batter than I expected but bakery-quality.
Jan 3, 2016
Always a success. These are so moist and delicious.
Jul 18, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I didn't have any ground cardamom, but they tasted great without it.
Apr 20, 2014
What a wonderful recipe! We made these Easter morning and enjoyed them with fresh fruit and yogurt. So delicious!! Highly recommend.