Lemon-Filled Gingerbread Muffins
Honest Abe rarely spoke about food in his speeches. But in one of his famous debates with Stephen Douglas, Lincoln told a story from his childhood about sharing gingerbread men with a friend. The tale charmed his audience —these gingerbread muffins will charm you, too.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, salt and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition just until combined. (Batter may appear curdled.)
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups one-fourth full. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until blended. Drop filling by rounded teaspoonfuls into center of each muffin; cover with remaining batter.
- Bake 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin portion comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Originally published as Lemon-Filled Gingerbread Muffins in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.