Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. In another bowl, whisk the next eight ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until tops are cracked, 8-10 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cookies. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie with 1 teaspoon frosting: 100 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 10, 2018
with a few alterations these were phenomenal. for our convenience we used 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg in place of 1 teaspoon cardamom, and light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar and they were still delicious. we more than doubled the lemon juice in the icing and used 1/2 cup less confectioner's sugar and recommend doing so. the recipe makes twice as much icing as you need, so maybe just make a double batch of cookies!