Lemon Custard in Meringue Cups
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sweetened whipped cream
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar, vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon egg white mixture into eight mounds on paper. Shape into cups with a spoon.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door closed; let shells dry in oven at least 1 hour. Remove shells from paper. When thoroughly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and remaining sugar and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the lemon juice, zest and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Chill.
- Just before serving, fill meringue shells with custard and top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 5, 2016
Egg yolks are mentioned in step 5 Onager.
Nov 6, 2010
Have made something similar to this and it was delicious. Think you missed listing the egg yolds in the custard. Onager