Honey Lemon Meringue Pie
My husband especially enjoys this lemon meringue pie recipe with condensed milk. His mother made this treat for him when he was a child. It was rewarding for me to create a recipe of my own that he loves so much! —Portia Gorman, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- One 9-inch graham cracker crust (about 6 ounces)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Drizzle honey and 1 tablespoon melted butter in bottom of graham cracker crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks and remaining butter until blended. Pour into pie crust; bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add vanilla; gradually beat in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake until meringue is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.