How to Store Cake in Your Fridge Quickly and Easily
This genius hack will have your cake ready to serve whenever you want it!
You open your cabinet full of storage containers and wonder which one is best for all those cookies you baked for the holidays. With so many options, it can be difficult to figure out the best plan of action. It can be difficult figuring out how to store any leftover food—meat separate from side dishes separate from sauces. And you can’t forget about all that delicious dessert—it’s definitely hardest trying to figure out how to store baked goods.
Luckily, we’ve got the most genius hack for how to store cake in your fridge when you haven’t quite finished. And yes, it really is genius!
How to Store Cake
We’ve all been there. You’ve got leftover cake you’ll want to eat tomorrow, but digging it out of a deep food storage container can be messy. Now thanks to TikTok user @crappy2happy, we have a cake trick we should have thought of a long, long time ago.
Flip Your Container
@crappy2happy Hack 5 is an oldie but a goodie! #cakehack #hacks #hacktime #lifehacks #lifehackstiktok #adulting #didyouknow #mustknow ♬ Elf – Main Theme – Geek Music
I’m guilty of this. I grab my largest food storage container and stuff my leftover cake in as much as I’m allowed. Then the next day when I’ve got a wicked craving for some sweet dessert, I attempt to slice the perfect piece out of the container while making an absolute mess. Why did I put myself through that?
Here’s the genius hack we just can’t get enough of: flip the container. Yeah… that’s honestly it. Think of it as buying a cake from the store. The flat piece stays on the bottom with the dome on the top. Doing this makes it so much easier to slice and serve cake after the fact. Just make sure you leave a note on the container so no one goes flipping it right-side up by accident. Total cake disaster!
Don’t forget about storing your leftover frosting, too.
- Freeze your cake for a later occasion. You can store frosted cakes, unfrosted cakes and even individual slices. Who says you can’t plan far ahead for dessert?
- Make sure your cake is completely cooled before placing it in the fridge.
- If your cake contains any kind of dairy (frostings included), it needs to be refrigerated.
- Wrapping individual pieces can keep your cake from going stale or absorbing unwanted fridge smells.
- Always use airtight containers—they’ll keep your cake as fresh as possible for as long as possible!
No matter what kind of cake you’re enjoying, we’ve got the right tricks for you. Just don’t eat it all at once!