Lemon Meringue Angel Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 12 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place 12 egg whites in a large bowl. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° until golden brown and entire top appears dry, 35-40 minutes. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into 2 horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 238 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 21, 2019
How would you adjust the baking time to make this in individual cakes? I have a cupcake like tin that is for mini tube cakes.
May 28, 2018
All I can say is YUMMY!!!! This was so good. But you have to let the cake cook completely before and after you apply the meringue frosting or you'll have problems with the meringue falling off the cake.
Mar 27, 2016
I made this for Easter. It was a huge hit! I followed the recipe and it turned out perfect! The flavors, tart and sweet, made for a delicious cake. It even traveled well! I will definitely make this again :)
Jan 29, 2016
I really liked this cake. I did cut corners and just picked up a store bought angel food cake. Its a bit heavy. I will be making my own next time. I also make my own lemon crud. Didn't take long. Couldn't find any in the store
Apr 8, 2015
I love this cake!! This is the first time that I made an angel food cake! Very easy!! I used regular egg whites for the entire recipe, but decided to add another layer of meringue using egg whites from the carton...I wont be doing that again! I think there must be too much moisture in the carton, yuck..they flopped!!! Great recipe tho!!!!
Mar 20, 2015
I'd like to add this recipe to my recipe box...but can't seem to ???
Mar 20, 2014
I used a store bought cake, split it into 2 layers and added the Lemon Curd. After frosting it with the meringue I baked it until the peaks were nice and golden. The cake looked like it had taken all day to do, when in fact, it took under an hour to finish. The taste is delicious. If you like lemon meringue pie, you will like this cake. I will definitely be making it again. The only problem I had was finding the Lemon Curd. Had to go to 3 stores before finding it.
Mar 20, 2014
TASTED GREAT - I WILL MAKE AGAIN
Mar 13, 2014
I used the store bought cake and sliced it in half to add the filling. Baked for 18 minutes. It worked perfectly!
Mar 13, 2014
My family and I love this recipe - for something different try lime or raspberry curd.