Lemon Angel Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 12 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 24 whole strawberries
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Dust with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired.
- Unroll cake and spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again; dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Cut into slices. Serve with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 237 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 18, 2015
Love the filling. I haven't been able to get the cake to roll properly, but the filling is pretty tasty between sliced layers of angel food cake - it's a lot faster too.
Apr 9, 2013
Made this for my co-workers as a special treat. Everyone loved it. First time ever making a rolled cake, much easier than I thought. Will absolutely make this again.
Mar 26, 2012
Such a great recipe, I've been adding cut up strawberries to it as well for an addition and it is wonderful! Making it today for a birthday cake.
Jan 28, 2012
Very good! Yes, it has a lemon flavor...that's why it is called Lemon Angel cake roll. If you dont like lemon try a simple cake roll.
Apr 25, 2011
This recipe was incredible sweet and very strong lemon flavor. I even used 1/4 c. less of the powdered sugar.
Jun 16, 2010
This was really fun to make and turned out amazing! It's a perfect balance of light and tasty that my whole family enjoyed -- especially my diabetic mother-in-law! I'd never made a roll cake before, so I don't know if I just rolled it too tightly or filled it too much, but there was a lot of excess filling that popped out...so be careful! :)
Jan 5, 2010
This was a perfect summer dessert - easy, fruity and creamy. I baked the cake first thing in the morning, when it wasn't so hot, then assembled it when the cake had cooled, and it was ready long in advance of when I needed to serve it. Just divine!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.