Lemon Angel Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 12 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 24 whole strawberries
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Dust with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired.
- Unroll cake and spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again; dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Cut into slices. Serve with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 237 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 18, 2015
Love the filling. I haven't been able to get the cake to roll properly, but the filling is pretty tasty between sliced layers of angel food cake - it's a lot faster too.
Apr 9, 2013
Made this for my co-workers as a special treat. Everyone loved it. First time ever making a rolled cake, much easier than I thought. Will absolutely make this again.
Mar 26, 2012
Such a great recipe, I've been adding cut up strawberries to it as well for an addition and it is wonderful! Making it today for a birthday cake.
Jan 28, 2012
Very good! Yes, it has a lemon flavor...that's why it is called Lemon Angel cake roll. If you dont like lemon try a simple cake roll.
Apr 25, 2011
This recipe was incredible sweet and very strong lemon flavor. I even used 1/4 c. less of the powdered sugar.
Jun 16, 2010
This was really fun to make and turned out amazing! It's a perfect balance of light and tasty that my whole family enjoyed -- especially my diabetic mother-in-law! I'd never made a roll cake before, so I don't know if I just rolled it too tightly or filled it too much, but there was a lot of excess filling that popped out...so be careful! :)
Jan 5, 2010
This was a perfect summer dessert - easy, fruity and creamy. I baked the cake first thing in the morning, when it wasn't so hot, then assembled it when the cake had cooled, and it was ready long in advance of when I needed to serve it. Just divine!